House Bill 508, filed on Monday, calls for:
- revising all academic content standards by the end of 2010.
- testing the new reading, math, science, social studies, language, and writing standards with constructed-response, multiple-choice, and on-demand items and using both criterion-referenced and norm-referenced testing elements, starting in 2011-12.
- using program reviews to check quality of school programs in writing, arts & humanities, and practical/vocational, also starting in 2011-12.
- requiring school council policy on writing programs and continued use of writing portfolios that will not be part of accountability after 2011-12.
- continuing the CATS assessment through 2010-11.
You can download my three-page PDF summary here and the full bill here.