Here are the very round numbers I'm thinking about:
- $1 billion missing from revenue assumed in 2008.
- +$200 million added in new costs from health benefits and other troubles.
- -$400 million from the stimulus fiscal stabilization.
- -$300 million in revenue and savings that will repeat from the 2009 legislature's work.
- $500 million as the real hole that requires further action.
Taking $500 million out of general fund spending, if that's what's ahead, will involve serious losses in services to current Kentuckians and investment in future strength.