Monday, June 1, 2009

$651 million over two years

The federal fiscal stabilization fund will bring more than $651 million to Kentucky, with more than 80% of it required to go to elementary, secondary, and postsecondary education.

When Senator Williams says that the $996 state shortfall for the coming fiscal year can easily be managed, I can't tell if his plan is to spend the full $651 million as part of the solution.

Still, I'm worried. The $651 million is a two-year amount. It's what Kentucky gets for FY 2010 and FY 2011. If we do spend it all starting this July 1, we'll hit next July 1 with no cushion at all.

I'll be listening and reading for clarification, and I'll share when I get a clearer sense of what's being considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updates and data on Kentucky education!