If you know Ali, you're already clicking through to see her report.
If you haven't met Ali yet, you should, and this piece is a great introduction to her thinking as a Kentucky teacher leader. Here's the short version of the elements she identifies as making a difference:
- The principal sets the tone for the culture.
- The principal listens to teachers and creates roles based on student need and teacher expertise
- Everyone teaches.
- There is an emphasis on student work.
- The school schedule is built around teacher collaboration.
- Everyone, including the principal, is responsible for all students.
- The principal works to intentionally build leadership capacity in the school, not only to improve student achievement, but also to retain teachers.
- Did I mention co-teaching?
- No barking!
- The principal protects the teachers’ time
(Hat tip to Cory Curl on Twitter. Follow her, too.)
--Post by Susan Perkins Weston